Community Newsletter – Special Edition Bond News
Resolution and Explanatory Statement
CAPTION: Bonds for School, Energy/Safety Upgrades, HS Renovations/Vocational Education
QUESTION: Shall Greater Albany Public Schools make energy, safety, school renovations, add classrooms, vocational education, by issuing $159,000,000 general obligation bonds? If the bonds are approved, they will be payable from taxes on property or property ownership that are not subject to the limits of sections 11 and 11b, Article XI of the Oregon Constitution.
SUMMARY: This bond measure would benefit all schools.
Specifically, it would:
- Make upgrades and improvements, including replacing roofs, siding, windows, plumbing, electrical systems.
- Make energy improvements, including replacing old, inefficient high maintenance heating/ventilation systems, doors.
- Make safety/security upgrades, including automatic door locks, fire alarms, security cameras.
- Make seismic upgrades to enable buildings to better withstand earthquakes.
- Renovate and/or add classroom space to support vocational/technical classes at all middle school buildings.
- Renovate, add classrooms and cafeteria at Oak Grove Elementary School; purchase property and construct, equip and furnish a new elementary school in NE Albany to address growing enrollment.
- Construct, equip and furnish the first phase of West Albany High School’s rebuild and multipurpose vocational education and gymnasium space at South Albany High School. Pay bond issuance, demolition and other building costs.
Bonds would mature in a period not to exceed twenty-one (21) years from issuance date and may be issued in one or more series.