McKinney-Vento Program Rights and Services
The McKinney-Vento Act’s Education of Homeless Children and Youth Program ensures that homeless children and youth are provided a free, appropriate public education, despite a lack of a fixed place of residence or a supervising parent or guardian. The state public school admission statute assuring the right of homeless and other children and youth in similar circumstances to enroll in schools is ORS 339.115(7).
Who is Eligible:
Students who lack a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence such as:
- Living in an emergency or transitional shelter
- Living in a motel or hotel
- Living in cars, campgrounds, RV parks, abandoned buildings, or inadequate housing (lack of utilities, infestation of pests, mold, etc.)
- Sharing housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reasons (also referred to as “doubled-up”)
Under the McKinneyVento Act, you have the right to:
Receive a free, appropriate public education;
Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment;
Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents;
Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is the preference and is feasible;
If the school district believes that the school selected is not in the best interest of the child, then the district must provide a written explanation of its position and inform parents of their right to appeal its decision.
- Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if requested;
- Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your children’s needs.
- Information/support with School Transportation
- Provide school supplies and backpacks to students, as available
- Refer students and families to community resources and programs
- Free school meals
- Access to donated school clothes, as available
- Access to academic support
- Other additional Services may be available